Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sat-urday

I think we officially put the SAT in SATurday today. And I'm not ashamed to say it.

Hubby's back is only marginally better so he wasn't up for much physical activity. So we all jumped on that bandwagon! I did go for a run/walk this morning first thing so I wouldn't feel guilty about doing nothing the rest of the day. (That worked. Didn't feel guilty a bit.)

For our first bout of inactivity, Jim and I watched Gran Torino. Excellent movie. It certainly gets you thinking about our world, our selves, our thoughts and our actions. And our blessings. How we shouldn't take our safety and well-being for granted. If you haven't seen it yet, we both highly recommend it.

This afternoon, Jim went to the chiropractor again and Carter and I went into town to run some errands. We stopped at Wal-Mart first to get a few things. Wasn't going to spend much time (or money) there, but then we saw they had the school supply lists out. So we grabbed Carter's and were going to do our school shopping another time. But then we changed our minds.

First we saw he needed a special calculator so I figured I better grab that now (plus they were on sale). Then we recalled last year how we waited too long and had to go to a bunch of different stores just to find a yellow notebook. So we figured we better grab notebooks, too (plus they were on sale). Then we saw the matching folders were only 9 cents a piece (yes, on sale) so we got those, too. Then, you guessed it. We figured we might as well do it all.

Actually, as distressing as it is to even think about school in July when summer hasn't really started, it did feel good to get it done (plus we saved a bundle!).

I told Carter that if I bought the school supplies, he could pay for the movies we were going to rent for the rest of our SAT-urday. When we returned the ones from last night, I pointed out to the cashier that one of the DVDs did not work in any of our players so they credited us for that and for an additional free movie. So Carter's two movies for tonight/tomorrow were free.

He was really excited about that until I told him he couldn't get off that easy. The least he could do is buy a treat at Dairy Queen to bring home for dad. Naturally, he and I had to have something, too. Jim and I give two thumbs up to the new Tagalong Blizzard!

Due to scattered showers today, raced were canceled for tonight. So after supper, Carter watched Home Alone 2 downstairs while Jim and I regrettably watched Tropic Thunder. Really shouldn't have watched it the same day we saw something on the level of Gran Torino. It's like eating cheesecake and then having to finish your cold mashed potatoes. Really, that bad (but that's just our opinion).

Now I just gave Carter a buzz cut and Jim headed into town again. The big boys are their own for the night so who knows what they're up to. Hopefully he doesn't have to go all Clint Eastwood on them! Although, with his bad back, portraying a 78-year-old actor may not be far off the mark...

No comments: