Friday, July 31, 2009

TGIF (Thank God I'm Forgivable)

We attended a potluck picnic last night with some friends I consider my "extended family." The rain went away just in time and it was an enjoyable evening.

I had the privilege of meeting the children of a friend of mine -- who happens to be a Packers fan (but I don't hold that against him). His 16-year-old daughter, however, seems to take the allegiance pretty seriously.

Somehow Brett Favre came up in a conversation and she asked why people were still talking about him. "His career is over and done with," she said. I told her that as a I Vikings fan, I was especially relieved about that fact. She scrunches up her face and says, "You're a Vikings fan?!" Then she turns to her dad and asks, "Is she the one?"

I asked, "The one what? Oh, does your dad talk about me because I'm a Twins fan and he likes the Sox?"

Without really answering my question, she says, "I don't care who you cheer for in baseball, but being a Vikings fan is, like, unforgivable."

Wow.

The thing is, she wasn't mean-spirited about it. She just sort of stated it as a fact, like "being a Vikings player means you wear a purple uniform." So I didn't charge back and set her straight that I have admittedly done plenty of "unforgivable" things in my day, but my loyalty to a mediocre, can't seem to win a Super Bowl football team was not one of them. I'm pretty sure I can be forgiven for that, right?

I mean, I went to dinner with my still waiting to the do the Super Bowl Shuffle Chicago Bear-loving in-laws tonight and I was able to overlook that shortcoming. Must be something about Friday night Fish Fries that bring about forgiveness.

Maybe I should bring fish to my next potluck...

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

Just remember, wisdom comes with maturity. Or is it the other way around?