Thursday, July 7, 2011

Car Show Day 1 :: Rain Delay

I left the house before 6 a.m. armed with caffeine and a camera for the first day of the Iola Old Car Show. I think the scattered rain showers caused an unexpected rain delay of the freak show... I mean of interesting photo opportunities. Sorry about that.

Thankfully the rain was light and didn't come around too often. It kept things cool, too. Which is always good at the car show where people (who shouldn't) start to shed clothes at the first sign of heat or humidity.

I got to enjoy some time with Carter today, too. He helped me work in our magazine booth for about 2 hours. And by "work" I mean test out the cheese curds and soft-serve twist cones. It's always best to get the deep-fried stuff on the first day when the grease is fresh. (There, now you learned something.)

While Carter was helping me, Daddy actually had to drive all the way back to Rapids. The guys are at the Brewers-Reds game in Milwaukee tonight but somebody forgot the tickets at home. And by "somebody" I mean not me.

I'm glad they escaped for a guys' night while I contemplate my strategy for tomorrow and get 8 hours of sleep! I was serious about the disappointing photographic opportunities from my prime spot. Either there were none, really, or I am so used to this crowd that nothing seems unusual any more.
Just this woman who was clowning around -- or seemed to be -- in her flowered hat, colorful shoes, striped shirt and polka dot pants. Not everyone could pull that off and be taken seriously. Then there was this guy ... who figures drinking and driving is safe -- as long as you wear a helmet!

When I saw him towards the end of the day, I thought, you know, this show has potential after all! Tune in tomorrow when it will be sunny and warm with an 80% chance of freaks.

No comments: