Saturday, July 30, 2011

Racin'!

Talk about a day of one extreme of racing to another.

Woke up and decided that I was going to do the 5K in town associated with our Betty Boop Festival. Yes, there is a festival for everything imaginable in the world. And yes, Wisconsin Rapids holds one for Betty Boop in honor of her artistic creator at Disney -- Grimm Natwick -- who hailed from Rapids.

The 5K is a fundraiser to help provide vaccines for polio. Now that's something we don't think about every day. But we got a good reminder. The woman who started the race today with a "on your mark, get set, go," stood there with crutches and told her story of having polio since she was 5 years old. She thanked us today for running because we can.

That's about the only thing that kept me going, too! I swear, it was already 80-some degrees by the time the race started and my next-door neighbor Niki and I had a heckuva time with the heat. I had a slow time and felt plain yucky with the humidity. I wisely decided not to push it and make myself sick or something. I sure hope it's not like this for my "big race" in 2 months!

Oh well, we got cool shirts as usual and we did our little part to fight polio.

This afternoon, the temps just kept climbing so I stayed indoors. Jim had a golfing engagement with some guys over in Green Bay for the afternoon/evening so Carter and I hooked up our new surround sound and watched a movie -- Rocky II. He loved the first one and now we have the 2nd through 4th ones rented for the hot-must-stay-indoors days coming up. (Don't be surprised if you hear about Carter boxing in the near future!)

Our nephew Colin was racing in a special two-night event at the speedway in Wausau so Carter and I went up there. They had some wicked rain in the late afternoon so everything was delayed -- which is why I am blogging at midnight!

Anyway, Colin was in a 150-lap special and ended up finishing 8th. It was an exciting, close race and he had to fight to keep that spot. Great racing. Had a good time.

We got home just before the stroke of midnight and I am ready to go turn into a pumpkin now.

Carter already has.

No comments: