Wednesday, July 20, 2011

For the Record

I'm sitting out on the deck typing on my Netbook, enjoying the cool breeze. And by cool, I mean it's now down to 89 degrees and feeling downright pleasant!

Our temperatures today haven't been seen in quite some time. In fact, not since 1955 when the record was 95 degrees in Wisconsin Rapids on July 20. Today we broke that record when we reached 96 degrees, officially, with a heat index somewhere between 105-110. I don't know who to believe. Let's just say it was hot and leave it at that.

Right now is my kind of heat. Probably because the sun is setting rather than beating down on me!

I honestly didn't spend much time outside other the short walks to and from the car a few times. Yup, it was a bit on the warm side. Even knowing no hair spray could hold up to this, I had (yes had) to go to a previously scheduled appointment with my hair artist. Even though I failed to lose 20 pounds for my class reunion this weekend, I can at least show up without gray hair! And the hair spray she uses held up pretty good today so I had that going for me.

I won't complain about anything else, though. We had a wicked storm come through during the night but we in Rapids did not get the winds they got up in Stevens Point -- where they actually had to ban all traffic in the city for 4 hours today just to clear roads from fallen trees and power lines. What a mess!

So grateful we once again escaped unscathed. Does this mean our time is due? I hope not. With me and my black thumb, our yard already looks like a disaster area. We certainly don't need Mother Nature's help.

No comments: