Tuesday, July 19, 2011

It's Not the Heat...

Those old-timers who used to insist it's not the heat, but the humidity, that makes us suffer were onto something.

I don't even want to talk about this heat wave. It's just going to make things hotter! But I will...

This is the kind of weather where you can stand outside 5 minutes, yes just 5, and feel that little trickle of sweat dripping down your back. And you're thinking "Eww." Then you hope no one notices what look like tears streaming down your face when it's really salty sweat dripping from the top of your head.

Yup. I love humidity.

Well, I do love heat. But I lied about the humidity part.

The one good thing about this stretch of extreme warmth -- and by extreme we're talking days of heat index reports in the 100s -- is that a person (pick me, for example) can have ice cream for supper. Just ice cream. That's it. And it counts for supper.

But that would be it on the positive side.

The negatives besides the obvious are wicked storms that keep cropping up, worrying about the safety of my elderly parents, peeling off my damp clothes at the end of the day... and tragically realizing once again that even industrial-strength hair spray can't hold a candle to Mother Nature when she's having these hot flashes.

Darn her!

No comments: