Monday, July 18, 2011

Hangin' with a Hall of Famer

I continued my Summer of Stalking today. Yes, it was another veteran baseball player and, yes, it was another former member of my Minnesota Twins.

Paul Molitor was in town. Don't ask me how our Wisconsin Rapids Rafters minor minor minor league baseball franchise gets these Twins here, but I'm not complaining. He was here to sign autographs and throw the first pitch.

Thanks to our friends Christine and Mike, we had early admittance tickets that also got us all we could eat and drink before the game. The important thing was that we were the first (almost) in line for autographs. Christine has waited 27 years for Molitor's autograph. Apparently when she was a teen, he was supposed to come to town but failed to show. That hasn't stopped her crush, but it did make us keep our fingers crossed that he would show.
And he arrived, looking cool as ever!! Molitor played for the Brewers for most of his career and finished up with the Twins the same year Carter was born. He was always a very likable player and just cute enough -- not that I notice that about baseball players. I did stress to Carter that that we don't come across Hall of Fame ball players every day so this is a big deal.


And Carter was suitably impressed. He now has a signed baseball to start his own collection!

And Christine, well, just blushed right out of her flip-flops when it was her turn in line! So cute!

Here she smiles with her niece Allie -- who may have to be Photoshopped out for future framing.

The only downside of the day was that we are experiencing a slight heat wave in the Midwest and it was wicked, wicked hot! Here the guys are a little sunny and sweaty.

And so am I! But happy, of course!

My one failure was that I barely got my camera out in time for the ceremonial pitch. I'm losing my stalking touch! So it's a bit blurry but you can see old #4 still keeps himself in great shape anyway.

And he still has that nice smile for me -- just because he knew I was taking this picture for Christine, I'm sure.


Sigh. I need to take a cold shower! We are in a heat wave, after all.

No comments: