Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sweet Tooth

Even though I distinctly recall 13-plus hours of incredibly painful back labor to produce a May Day baby some years back, I sometimes wonder if Carter is mine.

OK, yes he shares my love for ice cream and disdain for exercise. Yes, he likes to be the center of attention, exudes creativity and pretty much maintains an A average in school. Sounds like me, but get this.

It has been 72 hours -- not just 24 or 48 -- since he came home from trick-or-treating and he still has his bag of goodies zipped up and laying in the corner by a chair in the living room. Are you serious? Most kids have scarfed half of theirs down already!

Shh... don't tell him but I had to sneak a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I doubt he'll miss it because he didn't say a thing about the bite-sized Twix I stole yesterday!

Yes, I have a little bit of a sweet tooth. Carter does, too, but apparently it doesn't apply to Halloween candy. He could eat Pop Tarts and Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls all day long, but every time he gets candy at Halloween, Valentine's Day, Easter and from any parade, it takes him forever to eat it. Usually, I'm throwing one holiday's treats out to make room for the next.

A mom shouldn't complain about this really. But like my mom, I just don't like to see anything go to waste. I have gotten a bit smarter over time. For Carter's treats that I supply, I get him the beef jerky and sugar-free gum he likes. And if he gathers too much in the chocolate category, I "borrow" it and fill up my "community" candy dish at work. No harm, right? It's making someone happy.

Sometimes that someone is me. The good thing is that it is not going to waste. The bad thing is that it is going to waist!

My will power seems to be on the fritz just like my hip. Not good to be ingesting unlimited post-Halloween calories and not burning any of them. I'd hate to put on the typical holiday pounds before the holidays. I mean I'd really, really hate that.

Until I can run again, I'll just have to look for alternate ways to burn calories (don't worry I've got some ideas) ... and remember that every time I stretch my back out at work, my hand does not have to land in the candy dish.

Not every time anyway...

No comments: