Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Full Already

We only had a half day at work today so did not bother with the hour commute. I got done what I needed to and filled the rest of the day. And I mean it was full.

Since we had basketball last night, we missed Parent-Teacher Conferences for Carter. But since there was no school today, they held them again from 9-noon. That worked out even better. No lines and it took just over an hour -- versus a 3-hour evening with much standing. (We'll lock this discovery away for next year.)

So what can we learn about our son in 70 minutes that we didn't already know? Not much. But it's always good to hear it again. While his report card has some areas in need of improvement, he certainly didn't lack for positive reports from his teachers. I will never get tired of hearing he is a "good kid," respectful, reliable and "a pleasure to have in class."

We certainly aren't ones to take that for granted. So when we got home, we decided we'd take Carter out for lunch -- his choice. While I finished up some work, he mulled over his options. I'm so glad he didn't pick fast food! We ended up going to Hong Kong Buffet, where you eat too much then need a nap. Luckily, this was one of those days we could take one!

But I didn't.

I baked up some more Amish Friendship Bread. This time I made muffins, too. Then I whipped together some grape salads for Thanksgiving and the Cookie Bake Potluck. By then it was 4 o'clock already and getting dark. I donned my reflective vest, my blaze orange hat and running shoes, and headed down the road. I did a 2-mile route again of running for one song, walking for one, running again and so on. That seems to do the trick. I still have the discomfort in my "only time will heal" hip, but it's not as bad as it was a week ago and not nearly as bad as a month ago. Patience.

After I showered, I got ready for church. Didn't have to make supper since we were all still full from lunch! Carter and I went to church at 6:30. Had a nice Thanksgiving Eve service. Carter and the confirmation students did all the worship readings, prayers, etc. Afterwards, we had a pie social because a person can never have too much pumpkin pie during Thanksgiving week.

Got home and I really could have just gone to bed after such a full day. But I had this wise idea to play cards with hubby. I must be tired because he beat me and beat me bad. And I didn't even put up a fight.

I better rest up. Tomorrow is going to be just as full. And so will my tummy!

No comments: