Thursday, November 10, 2011

Turning Pro

I'm pretty sure when you ask a kid what they want to be when they grow up, they'll pick a pro football player or pro anything over pro crastinator. But if they aren't careful, that's their destiny.

On a day-to-day basis, Carter is excellent with his homework. He comes home from school, gets it done without asking and wouldn't dream of not handing something in in time. But with larger, longterm projects, he is not the best at planning things out and chipping away at it in manageable time blocks to get it done by deadline.

This is the situation we find ourselves in right now. And I say "we" because I lent my Cricut and crafting supplies (and guidance) to this project. It's just a booklet on an explorer that has to include some maps and journals and enough creativity to fill 24 pages. Little pages, but 24 pages nonetheless.

By Tuesday night, I could tell this was going to be a huge undertaking to get done by Friday. I told Carter that if he told me the letters he needed, I'd get them cut out on the Cricut for him and print out his info that is ready to go on pages.

Of course, I find out after I volunteered to help that he knew about this before last weekend. So he could have been working on it all weekend instead of facing a run to midnight tonight (he's got basketball practice, you know).

I envision this being a lesson to both of us -- Carter to better plan out his time and me to not volunteer to "help." (Craftiness is my weakness!)

I also know I can't lecture him about procrastination. We don't live in a glass house or anything, but I probably shouldn't be throwing stones anyway. I might hurt my back.

Honestly, I fully admit I procrastinate. Not in everything, mind you. Just when it comes to things I don't want to do. My Should List. You know you have one: I should clean out the closet... I should organize the office... I should clear off the counter and keep it that way! Oh there's plenty more should where those came from... It's just hard to get to that list. It's large. It's overwhelming. And I don't know where to start.

Too bad none of it requires cutting out letters on my Cricut. Then you know I'd be all over that. I'm sure I'd be a pro in no time!

No comments: