Sunday, November 6, 2011

Girl Power

In the Lutheran church, we celebrated All Saints Day today. Part of the tradition is lighting candles for loved ones who passed away in the last year or "saints" who may have died years ago but hold a special place in our heart.

Without fail, I tear up when we're singing Amazing Grace or How Great Thou Art -- and my grandmothers and two special aunts come to mind. No offense to my grandfathers or uncles. It's just that these women and their strength influenced me.

Grandma Minnie (on my dad's side) died when I was in junior high. I was old enough to remember and old enough to have gotten to know her over the years. She had lived on her own for most of my lifetime since my grandpa died when I was a toddler. She weathered so many storms in her 90 years. I admired her independence and her perseverance.

My Grandma Florence (on my mom's side) passed away 16 years ago when I was well into my adulthood. Flossie, as she was called, was so young at heart. I always thought, "When I am a grandma, I want to be like her!" She was still bowling regularly well into her 70s -- and walking downtown to the bowling alley to do it. Plus getting on a football pool now and then. And winning. I hope I've inherited her luck!

My Aunt Betty (my dad's sister) was my godmother. She was a hardworking farm wife and incredible cook. She had a wonderful sense of humor and seemed so full of love all the time. She even "adopted" one of our puppies -- the sister to my dog Boomer -- so we were always looking for an excuse to go visit. "Did you get enough to eat?" No one left their house on an empty stomach either. Very caring.

Aunt Virginia (my mom's sister) was one of a kind. It was obvious that she and my mom were not just sisters, they were best friends. I can recall every day during the summer when we were off of school, those "girls" would be on the phone or at each other's houses for coffee and something sweet -- either Gena's homemade banana cake or my mom's chocolate wacky cake or, in a pinch, something from the bakery. They were the best at silly songs and unique costumes.

From all of them, I have inherited special gifts that give me "girl power." I am a hard worker. I have overcome much adversity and become stronger because of it. My running shoes can attest to the fact I am trying to stay active in my old age. I absolutely love entertaining, creating songs and skits, and making people laugh. I also love baking, eating, drinking coffee and spending time with my sisters.

I feel blessed that I got something from each of them that shapes who I am today. "Being a saint" is not on my bucket list, that's for sure. But I can make a darn good impression using my inner power and my higher power.

Some day it might be worth lighting a candle over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!

Anonymous said...

Well said Byn.
Love, your twin