Saturday, December 24, 2011

Here Comes Santa Claus

Bells are ringin', children singin',
All is merry and bright.
So hang your stockings and say your prayers,
'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight.

You know what's ironic about this Christmas carol? There are very few that combine the actual religious holiday (which is why we celebrate to begin with) and the secular Santa. "Hang your stockings and say your prayers"? Hmm.

When you think about it, we do combine both every year. Most of us go to a church service sometime Christmas Eve and then later hang stockings in anticipation of Santa's visit. In the morning, we open Santa presents and hopefully remember to say "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. Hopefully.

Our Christmas Eve day followed the typical schedule today. Sort of.

Carter and I went to 1 o'clock service this afternoon. Guess who almost fainted in church?? Nope, not Carter this time. Me. We weren't even done with the first verse of the first song, It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, and I was seeing stars (not the kind in the clear sky) and had to abruptly sit down.

I put my head down and tried not to draw attention to myself. I was just trying to breathe and not pass out. My most immediate concern was that I had to do the scripture readings in about 2 minutes. I looked at Carter and said, "You're gonna have to read for me." Well nothing like making him want to faint. "What? No, Mom, I can't!"

So I manage to walk to the back of the church and get to the restroom to get some cool water on my face and neck. I do not know how I did it, but I managed to walk back in, go up front and do the readings and get back to my seat -- all while completely conscious. I sat through the sermon and then we exited to the sanctuary, sat there a few minutes 'til we could give our offering, then headed outside. The cold air felt wonderful but I still didn't feel right. We stopped at Burger King and I sent Carter in to get me something to drink, then drove home with the windows cranked down so the cold air would rejuvenate me. It helped a little.

I laid down on the couch about an hour before we had to head back into town to Jim's parents. It took several hours before I felt right again. We had a good meal, but I didn't enjoy it to the fullest. Later, when we were opening gifts, I finally felt better, almost normal. Yikes. And here I thought my sore back was my problem this week. It sucks getting old.

We did have a nice time with in-laws. Jim's sister and brother-in-law were there with our nephew Colin along with the 3 Austin boys and us.

Now we've got 4 Austin "men" sitting out in the living room watching A Christmas Story to get in the holiday mood. At some point they'll get to bed so Santa can visit. Like the song says, I will hang my stocking with the others and I'll say my prayers.

Hopefully, come morning, there'll be an extra dose of Health in mine. That, for me, would be the perfect gift!

No comments: