Thursday, December 22, 2011

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day

Their old familiar carols play,

And wild and sweet the words repeat

Of peace on earth, good will to men.

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Have you ever wondered who a dentist goes to see when he has a toothache? What about a priest who has something to confess? How about a chiropractor whose back goes out?

Oh yes, the week keeps getting better. My poor chiropractor now has back issues of his own so he had to cancel his appointments for the rest of the week. He's lucky my back feels a little bit better. Mainly due to some pharmaceutical help, but also thanks to a blessedly short work day.

Our company gave us Friday and Monday off for the Christmas holiday, then decided to throw in this afternoon, too. We could check out for the weekend at noon. Good plan but I had some things I needed to wrap up so I wouldn't have to work during my 11-day absence from the office.

That's right. My desk chair gets a break from me until January 3rd! Whoo-hoo! C'mon ring those bells!!

Carter and I did ring bells again this evening. This time, he stayed with me the full 2 hours. I know he was bored but I reminded him of how lucky he is -- and what a good cause we are supporting. "I know, Mom," he says, but still gives that very audible teenage sigh. You know the one -- where he makes it sound like we just asked him to walk barefoot across a field of broken glass. Anything that doesn't involve couch time seems to be torture these days!

I have a feeling that's not going to change much in the next 11 days. Hopefully, I'll be a little guilty of that, too!

I was in a lot of pain tonight during that 120 minutes. Not just my back but my legs, too. I really think some time in the hot tub is in order. Then some decent rest to start off vacation.


The alarm clock is not invited to this party. If we want noise, we'll ring some bells! Or sing a carol or two...

No comments: