Sunday, December 11, 2011

Misfit Toys



We're on the Island of Misfit Toys


Here we don't want to stay


We want to travel with Santa Claus


In his magic sleigh!
We all feel like a Misfit every now and then. In our house, we're pretty much the Island of Misfits from September to January. If we're lucky.

There's quite a shortage of Vikings fans this side of the border. So we don't get no respect. Probably don't deserve it this season either. So no one but the Austins get excited when the team almost has a record come-from-behind win. Or when our second QB of the game is the one who gave us his autograph at training camp -- and shook our hands.

Nope, no one.

I told my dad (who won't waiver to the dark side) that now that he is home from the hospital, he probably shouldn't do anything stressful like watch football today. There's nothing stressful about watching the Vikings because they aren't doing anything, he said early this afternoon. And there's nothing stressful about watching the Packers since they'll win. Oh father. So cruel yet so wise.

The Vikings were on TV today since the Pack played late. Since it was an incredibly mild day and we were down 21-zip, I decided to go for a run/walk. Did 3 miles and it felt like a spring day. Awesome. I was hoping when I got back home, the Vikings would have closed the gap at least to something like 28-21. Not happening. It turned out to be one heckuva game, though -- even if it didn't end like I hoped.

At some point, I had some goodies (same as yesterday but they worked today) to deliver to neighbors but I waited until we scored first. Didn't want to do a walk of shame in my Vikings pants. Just a walk of "Yes, I'm a loser, but am holding out hope."

I found that even if I am a Misfit, a Misfit bearing goodies still fits in... even off her island.

No comments: