Saturday, December 10, 2011

Home for the Holidays

Oh, there's no place like home for the holidays

'Cause no matter how far away you roam

If you want to be happy in a million ways

For the holidays you can't beat home, sweet home

I guess the folks at the heart hospital have had enough of my dad. They kicked him out today and sent him on his merry way. That's great news. Now he will be home for the holidays!

It felt good to be home for some holiday-ing here today, too. I finally got some more decorations up -- inside and out. With the frigid temps, I got the garland and red bows placed on the front deck in record time. And the rest of the day seemed to fly by just as fast.

Hubby and I took a field trip to Wal-Mart to pick up some groceries and check some more gifts off our list. I bought some ingredients for some Christmas treats for friends that unfortunately can only be described in two words: epic fail.

Seriously.

I was excited I found a tube of black decorating gel at Michaels yesterday so I could do those "I'm Melting!" snowmen again without having to cut up all those licorice arms and hands. Well the black gel did not end up being a "fine point" line so it looks like some big Black Widow spider is attacking the snowmen. Those will not be served as anyone's treats. So we'll get stuck eating the rejects.

I decided to fall back on one of Carter's favorites -- "pretzel doughnuts." That's what he's called them since he was 3. It is just round pretzels (you can only find at Christmas time) dipped in white almond bark and decorated with red and green sugar or sprinkles. We make a ton every year. Today something was not working right. I don't know if it was a bad package of bark or what, but they were not turning out at all. Just plain globby. So I still decorated them anyway and put them in a container. But those will not be served as anyone's treats either. So we'll get stuck eating those rejects, too.

I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Honestly, at least supper turned out. But I think the guys felt bad for me. They let me have the couch for 2 hours so I could watch a Christmas movie on Hallmark.

There's definitely no place like home for the holidays. Where the tree is pretty. The treats are ugly but tasty. And there's always a sappy, happy ending.

No comments: