Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Santa Lucia

Nightly, go heavy hearts
Round farm and steading
On earth, where sun departs,
shadows are spreading.
Then on our darkest night,
Comes with her shining light
Santa Lucia! Santa Lucia!
Then on our darkest night,
Comes with her shining light
Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia.


The 13th of December is the day that people in Scandinavia celebrate Lucia. Over the whole country, people arrange processions with a Lucia, her maids, starboys and small Father Christmases. As far as tradition goes, the oldest daughter in the house is supposed to wear a ring of candles on her head and parade through the house, serving breakfast to everyone.

We don't do that. I don't do that.

For one, due to the possible fire hazard associated with hair spray, I don't think candles on the head are a good idea. Secondly, when St. Lucia Day falls on a school day/work day, there is no time to whip together a breakfast for all. Unless they guys don't mind Pop Tarts in bed.

Who was the "real" Lucia? It a nutshell: This day got its name from Saint Lucia. She was a Catholic saint. She was a young Christian girl who lived in Syracuse on Sicily. That was during the time when Rome was in power. The Romans were not Christians yet. Because Lucia was a Christian, she got killed on the 13th of December in 304 A.D.

Sounds dark but they considered her the "queen of light" so that is what prompted candles. I didn't even celebrate/observe this holiday as a child but I wanted Carter to know something of his Scandinavian heritage, so I started playing the role of St. Lucy each Dec. 13.

And by playing the role, I merely mean I bought and wrapped some little gift for each person in the house (I love my new Christmas book and mini reading light, St. Lucy!). I also made sure we had something sweet -- real candy canes and the plastic ones filled with peanut butter cups -- since I didn't have time to make Lucia Buns. Oh yes, a person could really go all out for their heritage.

I pretty much stick to what comes easy and still marks me as a full-blooded Scandi-hoovian. Lutefisk is out of the question but I wouldn't turn down lefse (if someone else makes it) and certainly will take seconds on krumkaka. I just don't have time or ambition to make it.

I'm not the saint here.

Happy St. Lucia Day!

No comments: