Monday, August 5, 2013

Send With Care

I am my mother's daughter.

And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sure I fret too much, worry what people think, procrastinate and struggle a bit on the housework. But I also have her sly (pun-filled) sense of humor, creative streak and love for baking.

What I wish I had was her green thumb (not going to happen) and her big, thoughtful, letter-writing heart (that, I can work on).

My mom is a huge fan of the written word. Oh not so much books or what her daughter writes (she doesn't even have a computer), but of writing itself. She has teacher-perfect penmanship (still, at 81) and simply enjoys writing cards and letters to people. Sometimes to thank them or wish them well or just say "hello."

In this cyber age, it is unusual -- and always appreciated by the recipient.

Tonight I tried following her footsteps and wrote out two cards to mail off tomorrow. One was easy to do, the other, not so much. I wasn't concerned about my handwriting, though it will never rival Mom's, I was more concerned about saying the right thing.

One card is going to a friend's daughter who leaves this week for med school. What a great accomplishment! It was not difficult to put my well wishes down on paper. I smile just thinking about her bright future.

The other card is going to a woman who I met on my first newspaper job. I would see her every day on my "beat" and I got to know her but have not kept in touch with her in the nearly 20 years since I left Marinette. I was dismayed to read in their newspaper this week that she is dying from cancer. First breast cancer, then liver now lung. They are hoping for a miracle, naturally. I hope so, too.

I actually had writer's block. What do you say that could even offer the slightest bit of comfort in this situation? I wasn't sure but I did my best, basically letting her know that even if she doesn't remember ME, that I just want her to remember there is another person out there praying for her... for strength, comfort and courage.

I know I cherished each card and note I got after my dad died. Each thought and prayer lightens the burden of sorrow. I am hoping this, in turn, can do the same for her.

And it wasn't that difficult after all.

Yes, I am my mother's daughter. And she's got some good ideas.

No comments: