Thursday, August 8, 2013

Too Cool

They say the first step is admitting it. Yet, I am finding it so difficult to say. I mean, do I lead into it gently, beating around the bush, or come right out and say it?

OK, here goes.

My name is Robyn... And I am an ice cream snob.

Whew. There. I said it. You are now free to judge me.

I seriously should have seen this coming. The signs have been there for awhile.

I mean when was the last time soft serve tempted my taste buds? It does nothing for me. That special thrill I used to get with the Flavor Burst at Shivers? Gone. And Blizzards, Flurries, Cyclones and other storm-related cups of calories? Just not the same anymore.

I really need that hard ice cream. That awesome King Cone smorgasbord. That yummy Cedar Crest stuff they serve up in our mall (just discovered that) and the gas station down in the town of Rome. Yup, only the top shelf scoops for me.

And I am serious about the premium part. And sometimes that isn't even good enough. (Perhaps the devil is at work?)

I have been known to snub my nose at good hard ice cream because the flavor selections weren't attractive enough for me. At that particular moment. I've stood and pondered the 15 choices and walked away (not lying) because none were irresistible enough for me to break my diet. True story.

I have asked myself: "Is Caramel Collision worth it? I know Mackinac Island Mint Fudge would be, but is Caramel Collision or even Pirate's Booty worth it today?"

And I've answered: "No."

I know. What a snob, right?

Lest you judge me some more, I should set one thing straight. I will lower my frozen treat standards for a good cause. Yes, I know. Very big of me.

Tonight, for example, I did my philanthropic part to support the Children's Miracle Network. August 8 is Miracle Treat Day at Dairy Queen. For every Blizzard purchased, a dollar went to CMN. I set aside my snobbery and did this. Anything for the kids. You know?

Do I mention I had to special order my Blizzard? Well, I didn't HAVE to, but I did. If they make "Cheesequake" to go with the Strawberry and the Oreo flavors, why can't I have a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cheesequake Blizzard? No reason at all. They served it right up.

Feels good sometimes to do the right thing.

It's tough to be too COOL all the time!


1 comment:

Writer Rahn said...

Wow...I'm proud of you for taking this step in admitting your ice cream snobbery.

Not surprised that you'd lower your refined tastes for the purpose of helping children - such a trooper you are. lol