Saturday, August 31, 2013

Women Rock... and Run

Enjoyed my second all-women running event of the summer, participating in the Women Rock 10K in St. Paul. This one was much cleaner than the Dirty Girl... except for the perspiration and, well, some almost dirty thoughts.

You'll see why...

Fellow Desperate Housewife Cindy and I hit the road Friday at 1 p.m. and drove to Eau Claire, where we met her sister, Dana. The three of us and Dana's co-worker Mary headed to St. Paul for the Expo-tique, which ran all Friday afternoon and early evening.

The Expo-tique was a chance for us to pick up our race packets, bib numbers, timing chips, cool swag and shop. There was plenty of women's racing gear for sale (didn't buy any), along with some eye candy.

The toga guys were with some wine or champagne company that was sponsoring the post-race bubbly today.
If they put a temporary tattoo on us we could have extra glasses of it after the race. I don't drink but I let Mr. French put one on me anyway. I said, "Just keep talking. About anything. I love your accent." He said, "I love yours, too."

Ya think a Midwestern accent is sexy, eh? Yah, sure, you betcha!

Part of the Women Rock event involves shirtless firefighters greeting you at the finish line -- and at the expo the night before. Well, this guy, (I'm sorry I didn't catch his name) is also on the cover of the Women Rock Firefighters Calendar. Sadly, they ran out of calendars. But I still got my picture with Mr. Six Pack Abs as a consolation! Do you feel bad for me?

Race day dawned early today. And we were grateful. With all the heat this week, they added water stations to the route and gave us the option to downgrade to a shorter race. We were running the 10K and we figured we'd stick with it.

The scene at sunrise. River Centre Park in St. Paul was a nice setting. The clouds cleared much too quickly, though, and it was warm and sunny with 96% humidity by our 7:30 a.m. start time.

I was ready to rock, though! We got to the park early for two reasons. One, we wanted to walk around and get some photos. Two, Cindy is still wearing her boot for her bruised tibia so we wanted to give her extra walking time. Our hotel was only 3 blocks away but that is still a hike for the boot-legger.

This was only the second year for the Minnesota event, but it draws runners nationally. They had flags from each state.

Found Wisconsin flapping in the slight breeze.

Our gang pre-race: Dana, Cindy, me and Mary.
Desperate Housewives of Blue Jay Drive by the water fountain. Poor Cindy. She did this run last year and really, really, really wanted to do it again!


Of the 8,000 or so women running today, 3,280 were doing the 10K. I have not run 6.2 miles yet this year and have only done 4-mile runs, but I felt OK going into this. Frankly, my main goal was to be triumphant over the heat, humidity and HILL -- and, if possible, not have to walk at all and still manage to finish with a time that averaged less than 11-minute miles.

Dana, Mary and I all ran together at the same pace. I can tell you, it did not take us long to start sweating! The first half is flat with areas going down hill. Not a big hill but looking at the facing "traffic lane" we could see it was going to FEEL huge coming back and going "up" for miles 4-6.

We had an OK pace to the halfway turnaround point. No pain. Breathing was fine. Just warm. My 4th mile dragged a bit but then, for some reason, I found a second wind (must have been my Red Bull breakfast kicking in) and I sped up for the 5th and 6th miles. I thought Dana and Mary were still with me, but I got ahead of them a little bit. Not much, but I was able to finish before them and tell Cindy, our handicapped photographer, that they were coming soon.

She was able to catch me at the finish, too. Ha. I am smiling. not because it was easy, but because it was over! And because I did finish better than I hoped.


Also, by coincidence, Mr. Six Pack was the one who gave me my goody bag at the finish line. OK, to be clear it is just a goody bag, not code for something else. And it had a beautiful silver necklace with a Women Rock pendant. Very cool.

We also got a pretty champagne flute and free drinks. My ginger ale looks like their wine -- and probably tasted better. Actually, water tasted the best. We were all so dehydrated!



"Cheers!" (or as they say in Minnesota: SKOL!)

There were so many other nice touches that added to the experience...
Cute centerpieces on the picnic tables in the post-race reception area.

Some inspirational signs... And a few customized shirts I really liked....

"Does this shirt make my butt look fast?" Ha.

A group of runners from Boston had this one made. Love it!

They also had some banners with all the names of this year's participants! Wow.

Good thing they were in alphabetical order so I could find myself and prove I was there.

Our post-race foot shot (with Women Rock timing chips). Our shoes look so clean compared to the Dirty Girl!
After our food and drinks and photos, we walked back to the hotel and showered and were on the road by noon. A woman can accomplish a lot in just half a day!

That's why we rock!


No comments: