Saturday, September 7, 2013

Fast Cars

You got a fast car
I want a ticket to anywhere
Maybe we make a deal
Maybe together we can get somewhere

 ~ Tracy Chapman song (1988)

As Saturdays go, it was off to a slow start. Since we didn't get to bed 'til almost 2 a.m., I felt compelled to stay in bed til 10 a.m. so I'd get my 8 hours of sleep. I tried, but just didn't couldn't do it.

Pretty close, though.

It was so bleepin' hot out already that there was just no magical Motivation button around here. Did get some windows clean and my Saturday chores done -- on a Saturday for a change! Took a long walk and just about melted. And that was before it was the hottest point of the day -- 94 degrees.

We turned the air on and I hid out in my scrap cave, trying to start that organizational process. Did not get too far before hubby and I had to hit the road.

Today was a Ford fundraising event at school, where our school would earn $6,000 if we could get 300 people to stop in and test drive one of the Fords they had on hand. Well, you don't have to guess what I chose...


Seriously. Wasn't I made to be in the driver's seat of a Mustang?? A 2014 model and I wasn't even afraid to drive it. I just wanted to see someone I knew. So they could see me, that is. I didn't so I told Jim he better take a picture! 

It's a dream car. I didn't even look at the price tag. I'll just know it's out of my league but I can at least say I've driven a "muscle car" in my lifetime... since I'm pretty sure Honda Civics don't count!

After that, we stopped at Jim's parents and picked them up and went to Marshfield to watch our nephew Colin race. He qualified with fast time for the super late models so he got to hoist a flag during the national anthem.


During the main feature, he worked his way from the back and was vying for the second position when he got caught up in a three-vehicle mishap -- that's what we call it when we don't want to swear about it -- which sent him and another vehicle to the back. So he had to work his way back up toward the front but only had a dozen or so laps to do it in. He couldn't quite get there but finished 4th.

We were happy for him. But maybe next time he'll want to borrow "my" Mustang!

Got home at a decent time and Carter was still up and still watching college football on TV. I can guarantee you he stayed home to be in the A/C and relax. There were no books taken out of the backpack. We can tell him he doesn't want to have to do homework on football Sunday so he should do it Saturday, but that doesn't mean he listens. Does he need more incentive?

How about something red, four-wheeled and fast?

I would do his homework for that!!




No comments: