Saturday, September 14, 2013

Puttin' on the Miles

Everyone in the Austin house should have had a pedometer on today. We "earned" a lot of steps!

This morning, Carter had a cross country meet at Standing Rock Park near Stevens Point, the host school. This park is so big, we had to park a mile away (well maybe half mile or so). I kept thinking, "I wish I was wearing my pedometer!" (Remember, it is on sabatical for a month after my loss in the Steps Challenge.)

It was a huge gathering -- 17 schools! Hubby and I missed this particular meet last year since we were out East on vacation. Thankfully, we could rely on a friend from the Stevens Point team who told us what to do -- in a kind, helpful voice -- and where to stand. That worked for a few photos and plenty of cheering.

I pretty much missed Carter the first time he went by. He is in the middle of this group, even though you can't see his shoes or his uniform. There are too many blue teams!

I got a picture after he passed me, anyway, just to prove he was there.

Quite the challenging, hilly course. Even though it was only 67 degrees or so, it was still sunny and warm when it comes to racing.

 After the first mile, he managed to pass 6 more runners before the end!

 Final sprint on the straightaway to the finish. Go, Carter!

He managed to finish with a time that was 3 minutes faster than he did at this meet last year. That's a great improvement. However, he was hoping to beat his season's new personal record. I said just concentrate on improving at each meet over the previous year's time since each course presents its own set of challenges.

Getting refreshments on the Assumption Table after the race.

 Dad delivers much-needed and appreciated Gatorades!

Discussing race results with the team. Everyone did better than last year. Carter's says, "That's because last year we weren't trying." Good to hear they are this year -- especially if us old folks have to walk a mile to get there!

But that wasn't the end of our steps for the day. Jim and I participated in the American Cancer Society Relay for Life in town. The way it works is teams sign up and must have a member walking on the "track" at all times during the event, which today ran from 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Typically, it's broken down into hour segments, unless it's a huge team and they can go shorter.

We did not have a huge team. In fact, a few were unable to walk today so Jim and I took two shifts. We walked the first one from 3-4 p.m. Jim opted out of the second one from 6-7 p.m., so I went that one alone. He made a good call. Walking two full hours -- and at least 8 miles -- is something for the younger folks! But I won't complain. I am healthy and cancer-free and physically able to help. It was worth it.

Here are few scenes:


Our team name was "Got Hope?" People could purchase luminaries and decorate them to honor a loved one's fight or their memory -- or simply write an inspiring message.

By the end of my second walking shift, the luminaries lined the entire circumference of the ball field we were walking around.

They had them on the bleachers, too, spelling out HOPE. Those were to be lit at dark. If I wasn't feeling my old-lady aches and pains, I would have stayed. I am sure it was as moving as those final laps when I stopped to read each decorated bag.



Well said. Cancer does suck! Every step we can take -- figuratively and literally -- to help find the cure is worth the effort.

Even if you are not wearing a pedometer.







No comments: