Wednesday, September 18, 2013

PTO

I had a vacation day today, or as we call it at work PTO (paid time off). In my mind, I envisioned a day like this....


But somehow -- thanks to leftover "work" work that had to get done and was not getting done easily -- the day turned into this:


I'm sure I brought it on myself -- have high expectations for a productive day even though there were more items on the "To Do" list than hours in the day. Still, I have to remind myself where I'd be if I hadn't taken the day off.

There wouldn't be 3 dozen muffins baked for sister weekend. The CRV wouldn't have gotten vacuumed. I wouldn't have had time for a much-needed hour massage (cashing in a birthday gift from my sister-in-law, thank you). I wouldn't have my last-minute weekend food items purchased yet. I also wouldn't have the vehicle mostly packed and even a few items of clothes in my suitcase already.

So I guess, it was productive, just not vacation-like. And trust me, it was 80 degrees out, and I really, really, really wanted a lot of quality time with Mr. Deck Chair. I went out and said hello as the sun was casting long shadows, so at least I got out there before going in to make supper.

We are in the midst of the Moving Month business and kicking that into gear. Hubby took Carter's bunks down and I found a buyer on Craigslist. So we were messing with that today, too. I have much more to do with all that but am hitting the road tomorrow morning and won't be back until Sunday afternoon. Guess I'll relax for my Wild Women's Weekend and kick it in gear when I get back.

In the mean time, I got this email tonight that reminded me to slow down and appreciate my life and myself -- and be at peace. The quote to focus on was this:

 "Today may there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us."

Next time my PTO will be Peaceful Time Off!

No comments: