Sunday, September 8, 2013

'Tis the Season, Eh?

Even though there was already an NFL game on Thursday night, I considered today the first day of the football season. And you know what I love about the first day of the season? We haven't lost a game yet!

I said, YET.

And I realize I'll get no sympathy sitting on my little purple island in the middle of green-and-gold country. I get no empathy or support.

For instance, no one in church complimented me on my pretty Viking necklace. Later, when I took a walk in my cute Vikings tank and shorts, no one honked or gave me a thumbs up. On the flip side, I was relieved no gave me a single-finger wave or ran me over, either.

I couldn't even charm my friends to the purple side with this adorable photo:


Did you know Carter's first words were: "Skol, Vikes!"?

Some might accuse us of child abuse or brainwashing, but if that's my worst parenting mistake, I'll take it. Believe me, I will take it!

My season-opening efforts of support didn't appear to matter in the end. We lost to the lowly Lions. The only thing that made it more tolerable was seeing the Packers lose, too. As long as we both start out of the gate the same, there shouldn't be too much smack talk around these parts this week.

I said, there shouldn't be... but there will. That's what we love about the season, right?

We also love having a built-in excuse to waste away a Sunday and have nothing to show for it. And it's completely acceptable to society. For high-schoolers, however, those 6-plus hours in front of the television better not mean they still have homework to do. That's completely unacceptable to society -- in this house anyway.

I told Carter to do homework from church time to game time. Then, after the Vikings game, he could go for his run (cross country homework) and hit the books again. Inevitably, at the start of each new homework "season," this is the pattern we are trying to avoid...


But we haven't quite learned the trick to doing that yet. I mean I really don't want to break out The Voice this early in the season. But if a teen throws a challenge flag in my face, I will definitely respond in kind.

'Tis the season, after all.


No comments: