Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Son-Shine


In a former life, I am convinced I was a sunflower -- minus the tall and skinny part. Pass a field of sunflowers once and you will see something different based on the time of day.

Early in the morning and late in the evening, they stand with their heads hanging down, asleep on their feet. When the sun rises, they lift their heads in joy, soaking up the warmth on their faces, turning their heads to follow the blazing ball as it crosses the sky throughout the day. They don't want to miss a moment of it.

That's me to a T.

I lift my face to the sun any chance I can get! And to the son, too, now that he is taller than me.

As a teenager, he doesn't always give me that same warmth, but I understand. He's got a busy life and lots occupying his mind now that school is back in session.

There's plenty of homework the third day into school -- his backpack weighed 29.6 pounds tonight! Then there's the homecoming dilemma. Does he go alone or ask someone? He's got a month to figure that one out. The homework, though, has got to get done.

Now.

Yes, I look up to my son. Somedays it's due to his height. Other times, its his ability to make me smile.

Just like a little ray of son-shine on an otherwise cloudy day.


No comments: