Sunday, September 29, 2013

Forward, March!


While I have enjoyed the Warrens Cranberry Festival in the past as a shopper of arts and crafts -- and consumer of state-fair type food, I have never attended the Sunday parade. Until this year.

Carter and the Assumption High School Marching Band were billed as Unit #76 in a parade that I later concluded probably had another 76 after that. It was a long one.

I dropped Carter off at school after church so he could ride the band bus. I came home and changed and headed down to Warrens, figuring I could always shop a little before the parade started at noon. Well, I did look around a bit but didn't buy anything until I realized I'd be standing for the whole event so I better get some nourishment. This served two purposes -- energy and I would not be so inclined to steal candy from small children.

What could satisfy that hunger? Well, I hear Snickers satisfies. So how about a deep-fried Snickers? Oh wow. I was going to take a picture of it, but honestly it just disappeared too fast. I have no idea where it went!

On to the parade...
Our friend Bob, a Zor Funster shriner clown, came past me at about 12:30 p.m. and said he was #25 so I knew there'd be a wait for the AHS band. Some time after 1 p.m. (an hour into the parade and a dozen marching bands later), they came down the road to perform for the thousands of people lining the streets in this tiny little berry town.

Here's Carter third in line. I was facing the sun so did not have any clue if I was in focus or who I was shooting.

Luckily, he got real close right before they resumed playing.


They not only played and marched but they did have some movement, too! Lots of zig-zagging and stuff while still moving forward. I was impressed. It also was probably a sneak peek at what they'll be doing for homecoming halftime this Saturday. Maybe.

Even though the kids were probably sweating in the sun, I still think their uniforms are classy. They show off our Royal blue pride, that's for sure!

After the parade, I came home, watched the Vikings actually win a game, then took a walk. Since it is the start of homecoming week, I took Carter to the school tonight for a Dodgeball tourney between the high school grades. That took more than two hours. Was it worth the wait in the car after I was done grocery shopping? Not really. Sophomores finished last. Ha.

They better find some other ways to earn spirit points this week. Somehow, I have a feeling we're going to be pretty busy trying.

Forward.... March!

No comments: