Monday, October 6, 2014

Austins on Farewell Tour

Today, our last day in the Centennial State, the Austin Tour reached new heights. 

Since it was Monday for most people, we borrowed the Jeep again while Pete and Dawn worked. We headed south to Colorado Springs and the foot of the infamous Pikes Peak. 

I'm sure you've heard it's tall. Real tall. And I'm sure you've heard I'm a tad bit afraid of heights. But perhaps you also recall I enjoy a challenge!

We had 3 options for reaching the top: Hike (hell to the no), drive through the 150 hairpin turns with no guard rails (no stinking way) or take the Cog Railway (least of 3 evils).

Now in my head I was picturing some sort of tram car dangling on a cable thousands and thousands of feet above the earth. Did I pack enough anxiety pills? The reality was that we rode in sort of tram/railroad cars on a rail track. No steep ascents. And speed topping at 8 mph. Couple that with some entertaining and informative commentary from the conductor,  and it was the best choice possible.

No extra pills required. 

When we did make it to the summit at 14,110 feet, my fear of heights was far outweighed by the need to keep  warm. With some ice and snow scattered and a wind at 40 mph, the temp was low teens at best. Windchill below zero, we believe. Needless to say, picture taking was accomplished in record time before my fingers froze or, worse, I as blown off the summit.


In case you were  wondering if we got high in Colorado, we did. Very, very high. 

That trip was pretty much it for our last day of sightseeing. Got back "home" to Lookout Mountain, packed and headed to the airport. Wasn't ready to go but we knew the cat was missing Daddy something fierce. 

And Carter may have missed us a bit, too.

 
 

No comments: