Saturday, October 4, 2014

Rocky Mountain Hi

Today was our day for road-tripping. Pete and Dawn let us borrow their Jeep and we headed up to Estes Park and the Rocky Mountain National Park.


Estes Park was holding Elk Fest. Wasn't sure what that was all about but we soon discovered we were going to see elk. A lot of them.


Look at these elk lounging around on the golf course of all places. Took plenty of pictures and saw them up close, too.


I thought that maybe the herd was herded in for the event, but after seeing this sign, I realized that they must hang out there pretty often.


This big guy looked a little intimidating, but he wasn't bugling so I guess he wasn't trying to throw his weight around.

After viewing the elk and snapping several good photos with my better camera that I did not bring a cord for, we headed across the highway to eat.


Is it wrong to eat a BBQ elk sandwich just minutes after taking photos of them? It was a surprisingly daring move for me and it was a good one. Quite tasty actually!

After lunch we went into the Rocky Mountain National Park and absorbed the beauty. Sooooo awesome! I took a lot of photos and we managed to get someone to take one of us and we did our own selfie, too.



Very hilly (obviously) and winding roads. Didn't look down!! Kept saying "ooh" and "ahh" like a great fireworks show. So gorgeous. And we saw two elk in the wild, too. Took photos I will share post-trip.

After we got back "home" around 5 p.m., the four of us took the two chow dogs Annie and Rudy for a long trail walk. That is when we finally heard a real elk bugle and saw at least 3 of them, basically in their backyard!

Pretty sure I could keep adding to my list of reasons to live here! Other than the thin air, which I vow to get used to before we leave on Monday.

It will help me for our next visit!


No comments: