Thursday, October 16, 2014

Run For Your Life

To motivate Carter to run his hardest today at the Conference Cross Country Meet today I had a friend of mine help...

Thanks to the powers of Photoshop, even I was inspired to run fast. Very fast!

While today was THE Conference Meet, it was actually our smallest of the year since it, logically, was only our conference of 10 schools. We headed up to Athens (more than an hour north of Rapids) in the mid-afternoon and picked up another set of CC parents on the way.

It was a gorgeous day for running, er, watching running. And a good day to test out the camera capabilities on my new phone. Unfortunately, you will have to wait for that "show" since I couldn't get those to load on my computer like the old one did.

In fact, I've had a few problems with this new gadget. Our local carrier was taken over by AT&T so there are a ton of us in Rapids area who transitioned to new phones and services yesterday. Ironically, I was able to get texts from everyone else except Jim and Carter. Maybe that's a sign we need to communicate face to face more often? I don't know but finally tonight around 9 p.m. that started working.

Back to the meet...

The new camera does work nice but I'll have to play around with the additional settings. I am sure the boys and the one girl, Carter's friend Olivia, who ran did not enjoy the nice scenery anyway. They just knew there were hills and there was mud here and there.

Carter seemed to be running it well and keeping up with a teammate that is usually a ways ahead of him. Unfortunately, that didn't mean Carter was having a quicker run, like we thought. The teammate had some leg pain so was running slower. Darn.

So Carter did not have a PR today. He was only off by 15 seconds or so.

But he did finish strong... as noted by my camera phone photo and fancy imaging app. Ha.

As a team, they finished 4th. Coach said next week is what counts anyway. It will be Sectionals, which determine who goes to state. I hope our two fast sophomores qualify. That would be awesome! If our team were to qualify, that would be the most unexpected achievement ever. Who knows?

Carter said tonight he's pretty sure he won't be able to shave a whole minute off his finishing time by next Saturday. No kidding.

Unless maybe a rhino is chasing him??


No comments: