Monday, October 13, 2014

BFF (Best Federal Free-day)



Happy Christopher Columbus Day! 

I don't have many federal holidays off, but my BFF does... since she's a federal employee and all. But once in awhile, when it fits my schedule AND we desperately need girl time, I make a point to take the day off so we can honor it together.

And by honor, I mean talking, eating and snuggling under blankets (separate ones on our respective couch or chair) while watching a movie.

Today was one of those days. Yay!

We both had things to get done in the early morning and since I had time, I even got in a short run before the day's rain started. Neither one of us had seen a movie in ages so anything was game. Sometimes we do funny, sometimes chick flicks and sometimes good drama (often based on previous Oscar nominations).

Today we went with August: Osage County, which I remembered from the Academy Awards. The film stars Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts and others as a dysfunctional family that reunites into the familial house when their patriarch (Sam Shepard) suddenly disappears.

Key word: Dysfunctional.

The quote above is from the movie and it quite telling. If we had a dysfunctional childhood and realized we'd have an even more dysfunctional adulthood, we might not go through with it. While the plot was a little over the top in the dysfunction department, I could identify. No offense to my family, of course.

I probably laughed out loud more than I should but that's what happens when you see possibly one of your own family gatherings play out on the big screen. Plus, it's always good to know some have it worse than we do – even if they are a fictional family!

Anyway, it was good to catch up and spend time with Christine. Got home in plenty of time to start attacking my office this afternoon. I've been gone or busy so much lately I wasn't sure what was "in box," "file" or "recycle." Made some progress on that.

Tonight I had my mentoring meeting with my confirmation student. Coincidentally, was reminded again how good we have it. How "normal" our lives are compared to those who have so little. A good reminder we are not better than them – just in a better position to help them.

Thank you, Chris Columbus, for a day of lessons, leisure and new discoveries.





No comments: