Friday, October 10, 2014

Pepped Up






The week leading up to the Homecoming football game is like a 5-day Pep Rally, culminating the night before with the actual pep festival.

Since I have been out of town so much, I am a bit behind on the details of Homecoming. I knew Carter has a date – his friend Macyn – but that was about it. On Thursday I finally learned of the details of where pictures and dinner were going to be on Saturday. But there was another detail we overlooked.

I was at school by 2 this afternoon setting up for the German Club's annual Oktoberfest fundraiser. Great opportunity to enjoy polka music while eating brats, German potato salad and apple strudel. A successful event each year. Since Carter had cross country practice, he couldn't help with the setup. Since he had to work tonight, he couldn't play with the band or participate in any of the games at the Pep Rally.

He stopped to see me between school and practice and that is when I learned that other important detail: Carter has outgrown his black dress pants and needs new ones to wear for the dance... which is tomorrow, if I didn't mention that earlier. There are 2 other area schools with Homecoming dances then, too. Would there even be any black dress pants in stock anywhere in town at this point?

I had about half an hour between doing the setup and decorating before I had to sell food tickets. So I raced over to the JcPenney store, the only thing local really, and managed to find pants his size (whew), a new black shirt he also needed and, of course, a $40 tie to match his date's outfit.

No typos there, folks. Ugh.

Back to school, I learned another detail. Carter has been battling a old for two weeks an feels so crappy, he doesn't want to work, run cross country or stay at that dance tomorrow night beyond the Grand March. Am I bad mother for not knowing this sooner? Not really. It's not my fault he gets home at night and pretty much heads to his room to do homework.

I'm going to have to whip together some magic potion from my essential oils and hope that does the trick! Keep your fingers crossed.

Even though he had to work, we still went to the Pep Rally and had some fun.


The football team is introduced. They called attention to all the fall sports, which is cool. Carter missed his chance to stand with the cross country team. So no need to sneak any photos this year.


Immediately following the Pep Rally is the traditional lighting of the Assumption "A". That did not generate heat for two long in the chilly weather, but it was cool to look at for the 5 minutes it burns.

Here is the banner for Carter's class. It's always interesting that Homecoming Week often is more a competition between classes than a battle against our football opponent. Since this year we face our nemesis, Wausau Newman, that has changed.

This weeks, it's cardinal season. Can't wait to see how that pans out tomorrow.

Hopefully Carter is as pepped up (and healthy) as everyone else!


No comments: