Wednesday, October 1, 2014

How Great


Do you ever have a song that immediately triggers a memory?

Sometimes it's a good one. Like a lot of '80s songs (Don't judge me). Some from those rare positive moments of high school and a lot from college, too. (How can I hear "Love Shack" and not think of dancing in Carly's on 3rd Street?)


Other times the songs bring up sad times. Like those reminding me of special moments with boyfriends turned ex-es turned jerks. Or those hymns calling to mind loved ones who have passed.

This afternoon, I got out of work early to attend the funeral for a friend's dad. He was about same age as my dad and, since the hospice workers can make a pretty accurate prediction of death, was able to say goodbye to his loved ones in time.

There were a handful of hymns played over the sound system during the funeral service. When How Great Thou Art came on, I couldn't hold back the tears. Nothing to do with today's funeral necessarily but memories of my Grandma Hedberg's instead.

Every single time I hear it or sing it, I get a lump in my throat and think of that day, the only time I've seen my dad cry. And a hard day for her dozens of grandchildren not ready to say goodbye.

Today, we also heard Amazing Grace, another of my favorites. It also makes me think of her.

The woman sitting next to me had told me beforehand that she has only attended three funerals in her life and she absolutely hates going to them. With my hubby's wise words echoing in my head, I told her, "It's not about US. It's about being here for them –  the family, friends and grievers."

Showing them we are here for them until their soul is ready to sing again.

No matter how long it takes.


No comments: