Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Being Flexible

flexible:
• capable of bending easily without breaking: flexible rubber seals.
• able to be easily modified to respond to altered circumstances or conditions: flexible forms of retirement.
• (of a person) ready and able to change so as to adapt to different circumstances: you can save money if you're flexible about where your room is located.


I found several reasons to appreciate flexibility today. And by appreciate, I mean I wish I could be flexible! Well at least in one case...

So this is a flex bar. Our Tuesday UBC class involves a weighted body bar (I use the lightest weight of 6 pounds for now) and this flex bar, which looks so easy to flex in this photo, doesn't it?

We were supposed to establish goals in our 10-week program and one of mine is to be able to bend this supposedly flexible bar before my completion. They assure me I will get there, but it certainly calls attention to muscles we do not use. It's ironic I can run for 30 minutes but I can't bend this bar and hold it for 30 seconds. But that's what will be good about this challenge. It is working everything!

I also appreciate flexibility from my employer. I am able to work from home at least one day a week to save on gas, which finally dropped to $1.99 in Rapids, by the way.

I typically choose a day when I can do most of my work online – or if I have an appointment interrupting my work day. Today I had my church committee meeting, which falls on the second Tuesday of the month at 11:30 a.m. No comment. I'm just glad my schedule is flexible enough that I (as someone employed and not retired and not having an open daytime schedule) can serve.

And like the definition states, we should be "ready and able to change so as to adapt to different circumstances."

That's not always easy when life throws a bunch of "stuff" at you and all you have to defend yourself is a flex bar you can't bend! It can be physically, emotionally and mentally challenging.

I have several friends and loved ones currently in such a circumstance who I am praying for, hoping God will give them strength to bend the bar and make the best of it.

Like I said, I do appreciate flexibility... in all its forms.




No comments: