Sunday, January 11, 2015

It's a Gamble

In Wisconsin, the weather in wintertime is always a gamble. When we wake up in the morning, we never know if it's going to be a slippery, slushy drive to work or school or church. Or it's clear. Or if it's below zero and we have to worry about the car starting to begin with.

Today felt like a safe bet.

Roads slightly slick but it was not windy or super frigid. I had to laugh at church when, noticing light attendance at the 8 o'clock service, I asked the woman in front of me if everyone had flown south already – and she replied, "They must have, because it's not that cold out this morning."

Define "not that cold"... Well, after church, stepping out side in the 10 or 12-degree air, at least two people commented how "warm" it was.

We are so brainwashed here, it's not even funny. And I am not immune. I thought it felt rather mild, too. Did I even need a coat??

Thankfully, I haven't totally succumbed to the brainwashing. I did not drink the green-and-gold Kool-aid, but still hoped to profit from the Pack today.

We went to a friend's house to watch the game. I didn't cheer for either side. I mainly kept my mouth shut and hoped the numbers after each quarter matched my own on my office pool. They didn't. They never did. So much for that gamble.

Apparently, I'll get another chance next week. That's what I hear anyway. From. Every. Darn. Person. In. The. State!

I did claim one victory today. We won $7 on our Powerball ticket. Amazingly, that's half a tank of gas for me at these wonderfully lowered prices. Win-win!

We'll see if I pick any of the winners in tonight's Golden Globe Awards. I am rooting for Orange is the New Black and well, that's it. I haven't seen any of the movies nominated. But, since my team is in the off season, I definitely have time to check them out.

Plenty of time.




No comments: