Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Do Reality Checks Bounce?


I wish there was a way to cash reality checks. It would be nice to cash them in a real bank instead of just our memory banks. Thought that institution is going to fill up quickly.

Hubby and I got our first check of many to come tonight when we attended a Financial Aid informational meeting. Well the first dose of reality is that we are a mere year away from finalizing college plans for Boy Wonder and apply for some tuition assistance.

Scary, sad and exciting – all in one.

The meeting was too long in those uncomfortable desks but we learned a lot. It was good see cost comparisons among Wisconsin schools – from tech to 4-year – plus the plethora of options available to help students get there. Wow. Thankfully quite a few.

The last time I sat in a Financial Aid meeting was probably about 30 years ago. Everything went way over my head as I had no concept of finances and only knew my impoverished self qualified for a piece of the pie.

Fast forward 3 decades and much of it still went over my head. But we have a year to figure it out. It was just helpful to know what adjustments we might have to make this year. And if Jim should start selling his blood instead of donating it. I can't help in that fund-raising category but for my part, I'll keep buying those lottery tickets.

Our next reality check comes this week, too, as we register for the ACT test. Can this really be happening? Has time flown that quickly?

Carter is already joking about being out of our hair in 18 months or so. I don't mind him in my hair.
In fact, I had my hair artist appointment today. She got rid of the gray but I specifically requested she keep Carter in.

You can bank on it!




No comments: