Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Short-Circuited


I don't even have an electrical engineering degree, but I believe I learned the difference between a short circuit and a short fuse today.

When something short circuits, I get a short fuse.

Let me backtrack...

In my work area, we've had some outlets that haven't been functioning. Mine are fine but the guys next to me use extension cords, which can be hazardous if you are shuffling your feet! So the maintenance man and electrical dude decided to fix that today.

Sounded like the perfect excuse to be away from my desk for a 30-minute chair massage!

When I got back, they had determined there was a "short" under my desk. Isn't that ironic? A short? I resemble that remark! Anyway, they got it fixed and as the electric man was leaving, I realized my computer wouldn't turn back on. We hailed him back. He checked the outlets again and they worked for everything else. So we figure my "short" short-circuited my computer. Pzzt!

It be fried now.

I did not have a "short fuse" right away. That came a little later when computer guy said things like "yikes" and "not good" and "I'm not sure when I can get a computer for you." So, I probably will have an unexpected day in the home office tomorrow. Since I haven't broken MY computer. Yet.

The short fuse will get a lot shorter, though, if they can't save my files from the fried one. You'll have to stay tuned for that.

And keep a fire extinguisher handy!

(Oh, I forgot to say 3 things I am grateful for today... Working technology, Electricity and Chair Massages!)




No comments: