Monday, March 9, 2015

Daze-Light Saving Time

If you ever doubted one hour can make a difference then you obviously don't suffer the ill effects of Daylight Saving Time.

When the headlines read: "Daylight Saving Time can be a health risk," I can relate.

Health experts say losing an hour of sleep, like many may did this weekend, can have long-term negative effects on your body weight, metabolism, and heart health. New research shows daylight saving time has been linked to a jump in heart attack rates, by almost 25 percent. We are also more susceptible to “microsleeps”– the act of zoning out to the point you are asleep, possibly even with your eyes open.

Frankly, my fear after not sleeping well at all last night was falling asleep at the wheel or at the desk. Somehow I managed to stay alert for both, despite an excessive amount of yawning today.

I never have this issue in the fall but the spring time change always kicks my butt.

I hit the snooze almost an extra half hour this morning, but still made it to work on time. Carter, who rigged up a second alarm clock to hang over his head, could not get up without a  lot of prompting either. Tonight he wanted to take a 3-hour nap and then do homework.

I asked, "Who is going to wake you up 3 hours from now? You know you can't wake up on your own."

He didn't have an answer for that one. And I can't say much since I don't exactly jump out of bed either. Perhaps we should both keep track of how any times we hit the snooze this week.

Winner, naturally, is granted an extra hour of sleep. Let's play!


No comments: