Sunday, March 22, 2015

Out of the Closet

Guess what came out of the closet today? A LOT of stuff.

Since Carter's former babysitter is having her annual "first in the area" garage sale in a few weeks, I figured it was high time I get some stuff ready.

When Carter and I swapped living spaces a year ago, he went in the basement and his old bedroom became my office / crafting room / garage sale holding area.

Garage sale holding area?? I have been posting items on different online garage sale-type sites on Facebook. Had some success but it goes in streaks. In the meantime, I end up storing everything in the decent-sized closet – on hold 'til it's sold – and my other "stuff" clutters up my office since there is no room in the closet.

I decided today I would mark / price everything I've got in there and get it out once and for all. If it doesn't sell on my friend Audrey's multi-multi-family sale, then it's gonna have to go to charity. It can't come back. I have much more beyond the closet doors to price, but it was a great start today. Got everything out and now have room to put my two scrapbooking carts in the closet and who knows what else.

When I have time, ha, ha, I will go through some other items I packed away in our move. Yes, I realize it's been a year but time flies when you are having fun and not having motivation.

I got the ambition thanks to my mother actually. After our Dumpster-filling efforts last summer she is finally going to have her "living estate / downsizing" sale the first weekend in May. There is still a lot of work to be done to get her stuff ready. There is a LOT. While I have pack-rat tendencies at times, I don't want them to turn into hoarding.

Basically I have clutter because I don't take the time to decide what to do with things right away. Throw, file, respond, recycle... I hesitate and procrastinate and suddenly my whole office is a "holding area" for something.

I'm just glad a few things were willing to come of the closet today. It takes guts.

Almost as much bravery as saying I am willing to let these things go and not come back.



No comments: