Monday, March 16, 2015

The Really Off Season



While Carter didn't play basketball, he was plenty involved performing in Pep Band for every home game and we as parents were involved as devoted fans of the sport (and the band, of course). Now basketball for both our girls and boys teams is done.

We are currently entering the longest "off season" we've had in our household since Carter was in kindergarten. Why?

Well, after much deliberation (very much), Carter has decided not to play baseball this spring. We already knew that due to the timing of his Germany trip in June and July that Legion ball was out of the question this summer. But we (Dad and Mom) assumed he still would play for Assumption.

Carter loves baseball but has been feeling the pressure of school this year and wants to finish strong. The junior year is the toughest and we can attest to witnessing grueling, nightly homework sessions lasting well after us old folks have gone to bed. As it is, Carter's after-school time is taken up with practices (6 times a week) for the upcoming school musical. He'll be playing in the pit band for that. A neat experience to be sure. It will be the second weekend in April so he will have nearly 2 months of school after that with no after-school requirements.

Except running.

The other part of his deliberations was changing his focus to running. He told us he and his cross country teammates really want to return to state this fall AND Carter personally wants to shave off major time from his pace. He and a few of the guys who aren't in a spring sport are going to run together (daily if they can) now and in the summer so there is a better chance for improvement.

We can respect having goals. It's just going to be hard on us baseball fans to not watch him play. We'll still go to games to support the Royals. And now I guess I won't feel guilty if I sneak off to catch a softball game or heck, even soccer. Who knows? I doubt our schedule will free up as much as we think! It just never does.

Speaking of seasons... I just wrapped up my 10-week Ultimate Body Challenge at the Park Institute. What a hoot. I loved it. From the cardio kickboxing and "piloxing" (pilates and boxing) to the kettlebells and body bar, it was a lot of fun. I have renewed my membership to go to whatever classes I wish for the next 3 months. I am sure I will try to do Monday-Saturday as often as possible. My body is just starting its transformation. I need to keep the progress going!

While the scale only moved about 8-10 pounds, depending on the day, I did lose 2 inches around my waist so that's a start. There will be no "Before" and "After" photos yet. I have to wait until I start tanning. Isn't that how that works? It always seems like the "After" pictures feature a toned and tanned body. Since I'm not toned yet maybe the tan will disguise it?? Hmmm. I don't know.

Another benefit is the strength training. That comes and goes, I guess. Yesterday during the birthday party I had to have my father-in-law help me open a pickle jar. A few minutes later he asked how my fitness classes were going. I said, "I can do push-ups now. I'm getting stronger." He said, "But you can't open a pickle jar?" Oh, whoops. I guess I FEEL stronger, but maybe I'm not quite there yet.

We'll see what happens as I move into the next season of my "sport" and cope with Carter not moving into his. Change can be good.

Right?




No comments: