Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A Baker's Dozen


Over the course of the last dozen years, I have had 12 different bosses, have commuted more than a quarter of a million miles, and provided treats in the Magic Blue Pan more times than I can count.

As of today, the Magic Blue Pan is retiring (sort of) and I am retiring, too – from publishing that is.

Yup, today marked my last day of employment over in Iola. Was not necessarily desperate to escape, just had the right things fall into place late this spring and early summer and was offered a job shortly after my birthday. The perks include a 8-minute commute versus 50 minutes and growth rather than downsizing tied to declining subscriber numbers and ad sales. Come Monday, it will be a very positive change, I believe. (Visit www.renlearn.com to learn more.)

Since I didn't want to leave my main two coworkers in a bind, I stayed through the car show, baked and brought one more treat in the Magic Blue Pan and spent all of yesterday and evening compiling "how to" lists on the many aspects of my job. That is why I didn't blog last night. Could barely stay awake by the time I was done.

So today I walk in for my last day and am greeted by fresh flowers from my department and a steaming cup of cappuccino and nice card from a friend. As soon as I started tearing up, I knew it was going to be a long day!

It went quickly, though, and I am not sure I got around to saying goodbye to everyone. My co-workers fed me a pizza lunch and had an "ice cream social" in my honor later.

Don't you absolutely love this sign? It is me to a T! And the real ice cream at our "social" was good, too.

After my exit interview and saying my last, tearful goodbyes, I got out of work by 5. And more importantly, survived my last long commute without mishap.

Tonight was our previously scheduled Girls Night Out gathering. We went to a Wisconsin Rapids Rafters game, where we got free food and drink, got a chance to visit with a variety of friends I saw there, and meet the mascot.

Hi Rosco! Always fun to bond with another R person, er rodent!

The Rafters lost but that did not put a damper on all the good vibes and love I felt today. There are so many people I will miss so much. Good thing for Facebook, this blog and cell phones texts.

Heck, actually talking on the phone might even work.




No comments: