Thursday, July 9, 2015

Car Show Warm-up

Today was the first day of the Iola Old Car Show. While I typically am stuck (or have the privilege) to be working all day vending our magazines and books, today I only had 2 shifts to cover. So a few photos will just have to serve as a warm-up. Tomorrow may or may not bring more, depending how late I get home. Saturday, though, I am working from 8-4 so surely there will be something unique to capture your interest.

For now, Day One...

Apparently this guy's "other half" didn't want to come to the show. From what I hear, she's half the woman she used to be.

You're loving this already, aren't you?

Even if you don't buy weird things, you still have to find ways to transport them. Lots of modified wagons wheeled carts on the scene.

 And even very modified shopping carts with a "sun roof." nice.

Of course, kids have it easy and most get to ride along for the day. Until Dad finds something to take up their seating space in the wagon!

Checking out 4,400 swap meet spaces can be strenuous. You gotta stay hydrated. Usually these Camelbak hydration systems (with hose linked to beverage in backpack) are found on mountain climbers and marathon runners. This guy rolled up his pant legs and apparently was ready to take on the 300 acres of car show – with water or his traveling beverage of choice.

First mohawk of the morning! I know I will see several but since this one was single-colored and "normal," I had to take a picture.


I also know I will see a lot of ZZ Top / Grizzly Adams look-alikes, but I gotta snap the pics while they are walking in front of me. I saw a much better one, but it's probably rude to ask your own customer to step aside so you can get a photo. There'll be more chances!

When shopping with my mom, I always make sure my hair matches her shirt. Unfortunately, my own mom wears gray too much! On the other hand, they could be Viking fans. This is the largest car show in Midwest after all. Lots of Minnesota license plates!

I was especially happy to see my friends all the way from Radiators Springs arrive. Here is Lightning McQueen...

and his buddy Tow Mater. Love, love the characters in Disney's CARS movie! One of my favorites!

This year's car show theme is "Race and Pace Cars" so this gearhead is getting a kick out of that. I stopped by the booth for the Dick Trickle Memorial Project. Before he died last year, Dick had mentored our nephew Colin with his stockcar dreams. He also had raced with Colin's grandpa, Tom Reffner, "way back in the day." Tom is quite active in this memorial project. They encouraged respectful selfies with the cutout of the short-track racing legend.

If the van is a rockin'... Well, it was just too groovy to pass up. Love the peace sign in this vintage ride.

In fact there are a lot of beautiful vehicles and unique displays. I just tend to watch the people more than the cars. Ha. Should probably appreciate my surroundings more!

We'll see what I come up with. Right now, the car show is the last thing on my mind. We are anxiously waiting for news of Carter's arrival. Should be back in Rapids by 11 p.m. tonight! It's going to be very inconvenient to leave him at home tomorrow and return to work and the car show!

Dang.




1 comment:

Lonnie said...

Wow what an awesome car show! Lots of really cool classic cars including that micro bus which is like my favorite car of all time. It is beautifully restored and just has such a great aura about it. Wish it was available in this day and age cause they just do not make them like that anymore. Thank you again.

Lonnie @ Viva Chevrolet