Monday, July 27, 2015

Zuke-ing it Out


Did you know that in some cultures – the ones without black thumbs – people actually grow an overabundance of produce in their gardens and they can't give it away fast enough?

I like those cultures, er, neighborhoods.

For the last several days I've been staring at 2 zucchini on my cupboard, courtesy of Good Neighbor Mike. Finally, tonight I figured I better do something with them before they go soft on me.

Knowing how I love to bake, even on the first day of 90-degree weather in 2 years, that's the direction I went. I did not want to follow my good ol' standard of zucchini bread so I made up a cake of sorts.

Took a milk chocolate cake mix, added in 2 eggs and the grated zucchini from a small and medium zuke. Naturally, I threw in some chopped nuts and a chocolate and peanut butter chips for good measure. Didn't want it tasting too healthy or anything, so I will top it off with some cream cheese frosting when it cools.

I did cut off a bit from the edge just to taste test it. I don't think it tastes like I am getting my full serving of veggies for the day, but I am sure with a big enough piece, I will!

Wonder if maybe that's how people grow green thumbs? I better start zuke-ing it out!


No comments: