Saturday, July 4, 2015

July 4th Haul-iday


Having Sylvester pose by the flag was about the only thing I did that remotely resembled celebrating July 4th. It was more a work day than holiday. And by work I mean strenuous physical labor!

Hubby and I slept in but then went for a walk around the lake to start our day. The Wazeecha trail is just under 4 miles. With the temps rising, it was plenty warm at mid-morning so I decided I would take my first of 4 showers today when I got home. Even though I knew I was heading out to do yard work and I would sweat some more, I wanted to start "fresh."

The front rock garden-type area that I was hacking weeds in yesterday underwent round 2 today when I was digging up roots of several of the shrubs and crap we wanted removed. Let me tell you, weeding is a helluva lot easier than digging. I was dripping with sweat and swearing at some of the plants for being so gosh darn big!

It was not fun and I ran out of some "pegs" I was using to lay down some weed cover/underlayment thing. So I had to shower before I could go to Home Depot. While we were there, Jim and I looked at some new, taller retaining wall blocks to go around that garden area. We didn't find what we wanted exactly so road-tripped to Menards in Plover. Found something there we both liked but, since each "brick" was 29 pounds, could only load 20 in the back of our CRV. Will have to return for the other 63 tomorrow or Monday. Probably using the neighbor's truck so we can maybe get it in one load. Thank goodness we weren't driving my hybrid. That probably could haul a max of 2 bricks!

Got home, resumed my landscaping project and Casey came out to visit. He was home from Eau Claire for the weekend. Took him out to eat at Anchor Bay (after Shower #3). I should say he took us! Got to ride there in style in his 1985 Cadillac!

Had a nice visit and great meal! A ton of people there and boating right in front of there on the Wisconsin River. Gorgeous day for that!

Came home and resumed the project one more time so I could lay the 20 bricks in place. Had to borrow some dirt from the neighbor to make things level. Really felt like a farm girl or something today! Of course, sweat and dirt meant I had to shower one more time before I could got back to the neighbor's for a campfire.

We opted to sit around and chill out there rather than going to the fireworks in town. We definitely could hear them all around us and got a glimpse of a few. I was just too darn tired to think about trying to find a spot in town to park, then find a place to sit and watch. The fire was much more relaxing.

As holidays should be.... at some point in the day, right?




No comments: