Thursday, September 10, 2015

Hand Holding


Had a quick trip Up North and back this afternoon and evening to attend my aunt's funeral visitation.

I took the afternoon off and arrived up there early enough to stop and see my dad's grave and new marker. We were having a good conversation until a cemetery worker showed up and probably wondered why I was trying to convince an invisible spirit to become a Vikings fan this season. And no, Dad wouldn't budge. The tears were streaming down my face and it had nothing to do with his poor taste in sports teams. I just miss him!

Went to Mom's after that to pick her up and drive her to the funeral home in Frederic.

I walked with her up to the casket so she'd have some support. I tell you, nothing is so sad as seeing your mom trying to hold her sister's hand, knowing her sister can't hold her hand back. So very sad. I couldn't hold back the tears. During my brief stay at visitation, Mom went up there several times to have a word or two with Melvina. This is really, really going to hit her hard.

Was nice to see many cousins and siblings, but not a good reason. Just glad we can all be there for each other and for those hurting the most.

Had to hit the road shortly after 6 p.m. so I wouldn't get home too late. Despite a Red Bull for the road, I was yawning the last leg of the 4-hour drive. Home safe now, though, and so grateful I can hold hands with my loved ones here – and they can hold mine right back.


No comments: