Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorials


My tribute to Memorial Day included this poppy I got from a local vet at the grocery store. (And a chance to show off my Wonder Woman fingernails!) I also was part of a memorial for Dick Trickle at the race track and a memorial to high school at a graduation party.

Busy day. And Mother Nature did not want to cooperate!

The cool air and wind were steady. The rain was intermittent. Not good for a race day or party day.

Our nephew Colin raced in the Dick Trickle 99 Memorial Race at Golden Sands.

They had little flags lining the edge of the spectator area. In the background you can see officials drying the track – something they had to do a few times in the afternoon.

Colin qualified 2nd. Some other races began. Umbrella up. Dry the track. Onto next race. By the time Colin's race started, another dark cloud was moving in and we just hoped the 99-lap race would wrap up in time. After several delays – for cautions, not rain – the clouds broke open again. Umbrella up. Race over with 6 laps to go. Colin finished 8th.

We did not stay around for the final race, trucks I think, because it was still raining and we had a graduation party to get to.

That was held close to home at the Lake Wazeecha shelter. It was not an enclosed shelter so the friends and family were literally chilling all day. I had not warmed up from the races, so I did not overstay my welcome after enjoying my 6th piece of graduation cake of the weekend. I left before they had to roll me out of there!

My scale is going to have a come to Jesus meeting with me tomorrow. Uff da.

Tonight we are all home again. Carter is back from a weekend with friends up north. And we're all reminding ourselves we have to set alarms in the morning.

Yes, a holiday weekend. Yes, a day off. But with all the fun, there is work remaining to be done.

I see myself coming off my sugar high about 10 a.m. Tuesday. I'll either crash at my desk or just be going through crabby withdrawals. Just warning the masses.

The day after Memorial Day is Memorable Day.




No comments: