Monday, September 25, 2017

Cutting the Cord


When our children are little, they rely on us. First we feed, clothe and bathe them. Plus wipe their hinders. Eventually they can wash themselves and take care of other personal hygiene – with nagging from Mom. Up until they turn 16, they need us for rides to important places like school or a friend's house (usually the latter).

At all ages, they need us for low-hanging fruit on our Money Tree in the backyard.

And what do we need kids for?

Besides having an easy target to pick on, we (or this mom anyway) need them for all these new-fangled high-tech gadgets and such.

I didn't want to be THAT mom but I had my reality check a few years ago when Carter had to show me how to answer my smart phone. I wasn't smart enough apparently. And I've needed him a few times since.

Tonight I had a new challenge. It's the new season for fall TV and I wanted to watch The Voice down in the basement so hubby could watch football or whatever he wanted from the comfort of his recliner in the living room.

Now I am not much of a TV watcher. Probably only watched 2 or 3 hours of non-sports TV since the season finale of This is Us last May. Seriously, I have too many other things going on so it's just not my thing. Until The Voice and This is Us are on. Then I'll watch.

Needless to say, I hadn't watched the basement TV in ages – especially during the summer when it was the "Man Cave." So when I turned it on and couldn't get "TV" I didn't know what to do. After checking out the cords in back, I saw College Boy went off to college and left mom's TV hooked up to some gaming system. Now what? How do I get cable? How can I watch The Voice??

After getting a flashlight and checking out the back of the TV I was able to pull the plug on the gaming system and found the red, white and yellow cable cords to take their place. By then, hubby just let me watch upstairs in my recliner anyway.

There's still something I gotta adjust on that TV downstairs – the color seems off – but maybe I'll just wait until College Boy comes home next month.

Not that I'm afraid to learn something new. I'm just not ready to completely cut the cord yet.


No comments: