Friday, September 1, 2017

Winds of Change :: The Sequel

College Boy was so anxious to get back to school that he opted for an Early Move In Day. Let's just say there was some confusion about whether he was approved to do so and at what time. Still, we loaded up the CRV and the three of us hit the road at 8 a.m., hoping it would all fall into place.

We were about 20 minutes away from Platteville when the Scorpions' song Winds of Change came on the radio. I said, "Ohmigosh, this is the same song that was playing last year right when we got to Platteville!" Hubby questioned my goocher, but I have blog proof, which trumps all.

Anyway, I took that as a sign we are in for an interesting sequel to Empty Nest. And it started off that way.

Couldn't quite get into his dorm on arrival. Had to wait a few hours. So hubby and I got our steps in while College Boy attended a Team Awesomeness meeting. He's volunteering to be an Awesome, helpful person freshman and their parents during move in this weekend. He and several of his frat-mates are doing it. So that's a positive.
 
When we finally got to move in at 1 p.m., we were impressed with his new room, which is larger this year. It is considered a suite since he and his roommate in "A" will share a bathroom/shower room with their buddies in "B". So that's a nice convenience -- that and space and air conditioning. (Though we didn't need that today!)

Yes, third floor. But there are elevators so it was the easiest move-in ever. Thank goodness for that, say us crabby parents.

The dorm is called Bridgeway Commons. There is a bridge in back linking to part of campus. And there are commons (cafeteria) in the lower level. Convenient!!!

He let me the obligatory scrapbook photo. And yes, I still cried saying goodbye. It was easier than year 1 but still emotional. So we have Carter smiling...

And me. Ha.

Traffic was a big crazy on our way home since it is a holiday weekend, after all. We stopped home and decided to head up to the fair so I could see if I got anything on my photos. And, it served as a good distraction on college drop-off day.

 Look! I am an award-winning photographer now. Hahaha. Well, I was pretty pleased that I got a ribbon of some kind on 5 of my 8 entries. A first, a second, a third and two fourths. Nothing on my eagle (surprised me), my black-and-white dandelion, or the cow close-up. Oh well. You never know what the judges look for. I was thrilled some of my work was acknowledged.

And the fact that 4 of my 5 ribbons were on photos I took with my phone – not my new birthday camera – was not lost on hubby. I think he'll still let me keep it, though!

To celebrate, we had fair food. Hey, we were there. Had corn dogs and I opted for an elephant ear for dessert. Have not had one of these in probably 20 years. Most fairs have funnel cakes, but not the good ol' elephant ears with the cinnamon and sugar. Yum. Yum.

Got home and called my mom and thanked her for inspiring me. Guess the day came full circle with that since 6 hours earlier I was getting a hug goodbye and a "Thanks for taking care of me, Mom."

Now you see why I needed both a Hot Mess Snickers bar and the hot mess of a deep-fried elephant ear on the same day.

Winds of Change – The Sequel. Possibly followed by Freshman Fifteen – The Remake.

No comments: