Saturday, September 30, 2017

Anatomy of a DIY (Doing Intermittent Yardwork) Project

On the surface, it might seem my "summer" landscaping project could have been done in a weekend. But we're dealing with me here. Me and a busy schedule and well, time and funds and energy.

Today, well past summer (technically just a week), I finally can call it complete. Until spring when there will be actual flora and fauna there.

So here's the before and after and steps in between...

Late April I decided to start digging out the old flat rock layers in front of the house. Since we had the new driveway put in last summer, I wanted to upgrade. The rock border had been there since we moved in 16 years ago.

Early May and I thought I had it all done. Some was piled in the front but most around the corner on the east side of the house. But then, when I was going to dig up some shrubs, I discovered that clinking sound you only get if you've discovered buried treasure... or another layer of rocks.

That took another day's work – between the rocks and finally getting rid of every living thing. My specialty.

In late July, we picked our new rock border and I couldn't install it. Jim and neighbor Mike did the bulk of it since each bottom layer brick was like 70 pounds and top "cap" bricks were each 50 some. Yikes.

After that was set – in August – I had to place the thick underlayment on top of the dirt so things wouldn't grow through it and we could layer white rock like our front "garden" area. Also, I had that fun time painting the new lattice to match the deck.

Two weekends ago, when I was gone to Madison to see my nephew ride horse, Jim surprised me and got the white rock and put it in place.

All it needed was something landscap-y added to it.

Today, thanks to a nearby supply at the neighbor's Pumpkin Shed, I got some fall decorations to draw attention to our beautiful project!

Lots of blood, sweat and tears. For real – between scrapes and bee stings – it was tough work.

Like they always say, though. No matter how long it took, it was worth it!

No comments: