Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Mildly Shocking


First, I should be clear that the title "Mildly Shocking" has nothing to do with the Vikings' win last night. That was actually overwhelmingly pleasing. I could physically get up and do a happy dance either or my chiropractor would have grounded me.

I already am sort of grounded this week.

With the pain level high enough I couldn't do much of anything yesterday morning, I got into the chiropractor and begged her to try anything and everything to relieve it. Be careful what you wish for.

She started with some typical adjusting, following by extra cracking and a stretcher technique that envied torture chambers in movies. Then she said, "OK, we're going to try some electro-therapy." What?

In my head, I pictured getting hooked up like Doc Brown from Back the Future and zapped as needed. That's kind of what it is but not painful. Thankfully, shock therapy does not enter into this at all. Patches that contain electrodes were placed on my back and a device that produces a current was switched on to send electrical impulses to my muscles. Apparently, according to my chiro, that sends some signal of distress to my brain, causing it to send out endorphins so I feel better. I was like, "Doesn't my brain know I am in pain already? I have certainly been telling it enough."

It was a weird 13-minute sensation but I felt a tad better afterward. Until they mentioned the next device. "We need you to try on a back brace."


Again, I picture the worst – a contrapment like Joan Cusack's character in Sixteen Candles. Maybe I should stop watching movies. Actually since I just referenced two movies from the '80s, it appears I have!

So the brace is a big ol' Velcro thing that could probably double as a girdle. Winning. I only have to where it as needed but it helps keeps me in line (physically anyway) while I heal.

Apparently the combination of all of Monday's treatments did some good. I was able to bend over and tie my shoes this morning without using Lamaze breathing techniques to get through the pain. When I got to the chiropractor's later this morning, I wanted say, "Look, I tied my own shoes!" like a proud kindergartner. (OK, yes I did say it.)

Had a repeat of all the mildly shocking fun today and we're on for the same tomorrow morning.

I wish I knew exactly what triggered it but I have a feeling it was a combination of "I can lift this," "I can run this," "Bring on the stress," and more. Guess I need to make smarter decisions from here on out and act my age.

Now that would be shocking.

No comments: