Saturday, September 23, 2017

First Focal Point

Today was a big day for my girlfriend's daughter – and a big day for me, too. It was the first Senior Photo Shoot for both of us!

Have to admit I was a little nervous. It's pressure for such an important occasion. I wanted to do it right! Scoped out a few locations as recently as yesterday after work. Had it all mapped out and, due to the heat and humidity, we were off and running by mid-morning today.

Who would have thought scheduling it for Sept 23 would be the hottest day of the year? Well, close to it. And the humidity... wow.

But Emily was a trooper and sat and climbed and leaned and smiled whichever way I told her to. We were on a mission to not melt. Basically 5 locations in just over 2 hours. Not kidding.

Just like I did when Carter got his senior pictures taken, my friend Chris photographed the process – in case I need evidence of me "working" for my portfolio, she said. Ha! Up above I am taking some pictures at the Swiftwater ice cream place in Nekoosa. It has a really pretty wall mural that I thought would make a funky background.

It kind of worked. I would have loved a cloudy day, though. Bright sun makes for "hot spots" on the photos and subject matter that are hard to edit out. Photographers love clouds.

They also love ice cream! Too bad this is just a cardboard cutout. A girl can dream.

Our first location was their backyard so Emily could be pictured with her dog Max. Surprisingly, it took less than 10 minutes to get a perfect shot with him looking at me! Big sweetie! Then it was off to a few other secret spots.

I was going through my more than 300 frames after the fact and was going to pick out a few for Emily and her mom as a sneak peek. I ended up showing them 20-some! The Divine Miss Em was just so photogenic.

I don't expect all my subjects to do this for a photo but it's pretty stinkin' impressive! That's a dancer for ya!
After laying on bridges and wet grass and who knows what, we were both hot and a bit dirty by the time we were done. It was fun, though. I have some good ideas for the next time. Whenever that may be.

Now taking appointments for fun, photogenic, obedient subjects!

No comments: