Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Berry Nice

One of the advantages to traveling on road trips alone is that my camera can ride shotgun. And no one judges me for sudden stops and marginal trespassing.

On Sunday, as I was driving home from the La Crosse area, I finally got to see some cranberries in mid-harvest. Central Wisconsin is a huge producer of the red fruit. It contributed much toward the 6.13 million barrels of cranberries produced in 2016 – which was a 26 percent increase from the previous year.

In all the years I've lived in this area, I just haven't timed it right to see the berries fresh off the vine. So I snapped a few pictures near Meadow Junction while the crews were inside watching the Packer-Viking game, no doubt.

If you've never seen it, they have to flood the beds to get the cranberries to float up and detach themselves off the vine.









If the weather remains nice and the sun stays out, I just might have to cruise around the county this week... with my trusty Nikon sidekick, of course!

No comments: